Hey, I'm Nick -- a technologist, hacker, and engineer working to improve experiences for developers, building some cool things along the way.
Currently, I work as a Developer Evangelist at Datmo, where we build developer tools for streamlining the process of training and deploying AI + machine learning models.
On weekends, I put on my Major League Hacking hat and travel to hackathons across North America to mentor and empower student developers. I've highlighted some of my favorite parts of these events here and here.
Some of my recent talks are:
Some of my recent notable projects are:
- Dota2 ( #NAdota )
- Counter Strike: Global Offensive
- League of Legends
- World of Warcraft (not so much anymore, but will always have a place in my heart)
It'd be a shame for me to not mention video games, as I've played thousands of hours over the years. Video games have brought me some of my closest friends and have helped me grow immensely (running a WoW guild is more like running a company than one would imagine).
Lately, I've been playing a lot of:
- 🏐 Volleyball (weekly open gyms/tournies + sand courts at Stanford)
- ⛰ Hiking (More local trails than anyone could count!)
- 🏋 Weightlifting (Nonunique, but something I've been taking more seriously lately)
Having been an athlete my whole life, fitness and team sports are some of my favorite outlets for self-improvement and stress relief. Moving to the Bay Area has been great for my health, I've mainly been doing a lot of:
- 🚫 Twitter Cyber Harassment, Deconstructed
- 📣 Event Technical Evangelism is a Game of Inches
- 🎮 The case for meaningful performance metrics in Blizzard's Overwatch
- 💻 Zero to Hero: a hackathon project starter guide
✍ Content Creation
Despite my job involving a solid amount of writing and teaching for work, I've always been scared of losing my informal communication abilities that I've picked up through debate, research, and other avenues over the years. Blogging has helped me keep these skills sharp, and posting publically has helped me hold myself accountable.
For this coming year, I'm looking forward to delivering on my promise to myself to create more projects related to data, gaming, and esports, particularly with new mediums that excite me like Twitch streaming and Youtube videos.
- 🎖️ Coaching/Mentoring (Volleyball, Speech & Debate, Tech)
- 🚗 Working on my car (I bought it off a farm and rebuilt it over a summer!)
- 📺 Anime (Favorites: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Megalobox, Haikyuu!, My Hero Academia)
I have so many interests (for better or for worse). Easily, the biggest thing I wish for is more time in the day to be able to get around to all of them.